How Long Do Skateboard Trucks Last? (Answered)
Skateboard trucks are an important part of a skateboard. They connect the deck to the wheels and help control the movement of the board. Skateboard trucks come in different sizes and can be made from different materials. How long they last will depend on how well they are taken care of and how often they are used.
Typically, skateboard trucks can last anywhere from 6 months to 5 years, depending on a few factors. For example, if you ride your skateboard regularly and put it through a lot of wear and tear, then your trucks will likely need to be replaced more often than someone who only rides occasionally. Additionally, the quality of the trucks will also affect how long they last – cheaper trucks are more likely to break or wear down quicker than higher quality trucks.
How Long Do Skateboard Trucks Last?
Skateboard trucks can last anywhere from 2 to 5 years, depending on the quality of the trucks and how aggressively you skate. If you take good care of your trucks and skate relatively lightly, they can last on the upper end of that spectrum. However, if you are an aggressive skater or don’t maintain your trucks well, they may only last a couple of years.
Either way, it’s important to periodically check your trucks for wear and tear so you can replace them before they break completely. Doing so will help you avoid costly repairs and keep you skating safely.
If you’re looking for long-lasting skateboard trucks, be sure to check out our selection of the best trucks on the market. With proper care, they can help you keep your board in good condition for years to come.
When Should I Replace My Skateboard Trucks?
As we mentioned, skateboard trucks don’t last forever. Eventually, they will need to be replaced. But how do you know when it’s time for new trucks?
There are a few signs you can look for that indicate your trucks need to be replaced:
- When you detect fractures, rust, twisted, or bent axles in your trucks, replace them. These were clear indications that they are no longer in good shape.
- When you notice a change in the way your trucks are operating, replace them. Skateboard truck bearings should allow you to grind and turn more effectively, yet if you’re having trouble with it, there’s something wrong with your equipment.
- Skateboard trucks that are well-maintained run smoothly and quietly. When you’re skating with wobbly axles, you’ll hear a lot of noise. Your skateboard deck may be making an odd sound because it’s time to replace your trucks.
How Do You Maintain Skateboard Trucks?
Now that you know how long skateboard trucks last and when to replace them, let’s talk about how to make them last as long as possible. The key to prolonging the life of your skateboard trucks is proper maintenance.
Here are a few tips on how to maintain your trucks:
- Clean your skateboard trucks regularly to remove dirt, grime, and salt. You should also oil the axles and bearings to keep them running smoothly.
- Inspect your trucks regularly for signs of wear and tear. If you see any damage to the kingpin, nuts, bolts, or bushings, replace the parts as soon as possible.
- Be careful when riding your skateboard. Avoid obstacles and rough surfaces that can damage your trucks. Be extra cautious when doing grinds that incorporate the trucks, such as a 5-0 grind or a 50-50.
- Skateboard trucks can wear out rapidly if not properly stored. These are constructed of metals, which is why they are more often than not designed to survive rains and wetness. But if you leave them damp for a long time, rust will set in, and your trucks will deteriorate over time.
Do Skateboard Trucks Get Loose Over Time?
It’s not uncommon for skateboard trucks to get loose over time. In fact, many skaters prefer their trucks to be on the looser side so they can make quick turns more easily.
If your trucks are too loose, however, it can make your skateboard harder to control. You may find yourself veering off in one direction or the other unexpectedly. If this is the case, you’ll need to tighten your trucks.
Conversely, if your trucks are too tight, it can make turning and grinding more difficult. You may also notice that your skateboard isn’t as responsive as it used to be. If this is happening, you’ll need to loosen your trucks.
The best way to determine if your trucks are too loose or too tight is to experiment with different settings until you find what works best for you. If you’re not sure how to adjust your trucks, consult a local skate shop or watch a tutorial online. With a little practice, you’ll be able to get your trucks tuned to perfection in no time.
Skateboard trucks can last anywhere from 6 months to 5 years, depending on how often they’re used and how well they’re maintained. If you’re taking good care of your skateboard trucks and only using them for light skating, they could last up to 5 years. However, if you’re doing lots of tricks and grinding, they may need to be replaced every 6 months.
By following the tips we’ve provided in this article, you can help your skateboard trucks last as long as possible.
Regularly cleaning your skateboard trucks is essential for keeping them in good condition. Dirt, grime, and salt can damage the metal parts, so it’s important to wipe them down regularly. You should also oil the axles and bearings to keep them running smoothly.
Inspecting your trucks for damage is also important. If you see any damage to the kingpin, nuts, bolts, or bushings, replace the parts as soon as possible. Be careful when skating and avoid obstacles that can damage your trucks.
Trucks can get loose over time, so it’s important to adjust them accordingly. Experiment with different settings until you find what works best for you. Regular maintenance will help keep your skateboard trucks in good condition for years to come.